Saturday, August 16, 2008


Oslo Conference 10-14 August 2008

IGC Conference was huge! And covered a vast breath of geologic topics. I thought my talk went well, but looking a the photo, I should have stood on a box! There were only about 30 people that came to my session, but at least I got a question I could answer. I usually just get to oil and gas industry conferences. This one was more academic but fascinating.

  • Geoheritage & society
  • Geomagnetism
  • Geomechanics
  • Geomorphology
  • Geoscience education
  • Geoscience information
  • Geothermal energy
  • Glaciology & glacial geology
  • History of geosciences
  • Hydrogeology
  • Igneous petrology
  • Impact structures
  • Lithosphere
  • Marine geoscience & paleoceanography
  • Metamorphic petrology
  • Mineral deposits



  • Prices were unbelievable. Here's a relatively cheap restaurant menu - burrito for 139 Kroners or 13 pounds or 25 dollars! And a small beer was 60 Kronors (6 pounds, 11 dollars!) Strange fish mixtures were offered for breakfast, but I chickened out and went for yogurt and muesli.

    I did manage to get a couple of good runs in and Billy had the good sense to send me out with the garmin satnav we use in the campervan. The Nuvi worked great to help me navigate back to the hotel, and its not much bigger than a mobile phone. I'm sure I would have been lost without it. We explored Oslo the last day and saw the maritime museum and the sturdy Fram ship that Admundsen used for his dog sled trip to the North Pole.

    1 comment:

    Petraruns said...

    Oh my! I know it's meant to be really really expensive but this does make everywhere else seem a bargain.